Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"Don't Break His Arm!"

Finally, a post about Jiu-Jitsu. Yesterday we got our new Gis. I thought mine was a bit big but Ashley's was perfect. We didn't know it but the Kyra Gracie Gi from Atama is only a single weave. We were a bit upset at that but it is really light. I called Atama and asked about the shrinkage on my Mundial #5 and she said it was pre-shrunk but I could pop it in the dryer. I really don't think it's pre-shrunk. I let it soak for about 30 min in water with two cups vinegar then I washed with warm, not hot, water. I then popped it in the dryer on medium heat. That was last night at 1:30 so I'll try it on later today.

In class last night we started with a warm up. Jogging, push ups, bear crawl, crab crawl, 50 muay thai knees per leg, 50 1-2 kick combos with each side, 200 crunches, 50 squats, 50 leg lifts, 50 scissors, and 10 leap frogs.

We reviewed the sit up sweep, kimura from fake sit up sweep, guillotine from defended sit up sweep. We learned a submission if the person tries to push your elbow with their hand to defend the guillotine. Reach up behind their neck with the arm they're pushing on and clasp with your other hand. This seemed to work best when your hips were under them, not to the side.

From side top. Spin as if you are going to north-south. Continue to the other side. Sweep the hand closest to their head over their face and behind their neck, trapping their arm, clasp with other hand and choke.

From side top. reach hand closest to their head thumb first into their collar across their throat. Pop to knee on belly, when they defend by pushing the knee or foot etc. grab collar with free hand and choke. To increase pressure, come to side and move toward their head.

Awesome class. There was a new guy there, Joe, who seemed to have wrestled in the past. I rolled with him and he wasn't too much of a challenge. I had him in a nice arm bar but he wouldn't tap. Ashley started yelling at me "Don't break his arm!" I wasn't trying to hurt him I just didn't know if I had him. Finally he tapped with no broken limbs. It was nice to see that I'm improving and dominating these newbies like I was dominated. I hope he comes back he'd be a good training partner. Note to self, we love the Ezequiel.

No comments:

Post a Comment