Monday, March 23, 2009

Sunday

This Sunday headed to open mat. We were a bit unsure if anyone would show up but we made the drive anyway (30 min). Luckily everyone showed up. Ashley and I started with a bit of light rolling to warm up. When were were done I asked one of the kids Tony brought to class. These kids wrestle at the local high school.

The kid I asked was about 15-16 and weighed about 120. I respect wrestlers for their awesome control on the ground but I still figured I would be able to beat him with submissions.

Let me tell you...this kid controlled my 180 lb butt. He couldn't stop me from getting to half guard and he didn't know any submissions but he did what he did very well. I think my problem is that I'm used to rolling with people bigger and stronger than me. That usually translates to slower paced rolling. I can deal with some one muscling me around but I can't yet deal with fast little guys. I did at one point get to full guard and from there I was in total control. I went for a straight armbar (with his arm pinned between my shoulder and head, both hands on his elbow) and he wouldn't tap. I thought I had it wrong. I also rolled him when he had me in north-south. I later learned that he and his buddies didn't like to tap ( read dont tap when they should and risk injury) I think that I had the armbar but let it go because I'm used to people tapping BEFORE their arm breaks.

Either way the dude did control me and if it were a five minute round he would have won by points. I ended up tapping because he was stretching my neck and I had injured it last class. I tapped to avoid some future injury to it.

After rolling with him I was dog tired. I never get that tired rolling. I've only thrown up twice, once after the first day of class and once after a Donny warm up. Never after rolling. I didn't puke but I was close. Ashley and I left and got smoothies after class.

Now I'm caught up. Every post from here on out should be recent.

No comments:

Post a Comment