Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Full House

So tonight we had the pleasure of training with Daniel Moraes again. He's an awesome instructor. I have to admit, one reason I love Daniel teaching class is because his warm-up is nothing compared to Donny's. I do feel more warmed-up after Daniel's, after warming up with Donny I'm drained. Don't get me wrong though I do love to hate the hard warm-up.

Daniel showed us a couple moves if the other guy has a single on you. If he is grabbing, for instance, you right leg while both of you on the ground, instead of sprawling take your right hand (while still staying heavy on him) and work it between your hip and his head until you can grab his opposite lapel. Once you have his collar, begin to place your free hand (the left one in this situation) on the same side as the leg the guy is grabbing between his elbow and knee (like you are posting out.) With a quick twist of the hips toward the guys butt it should break his grip, you grab his left hand with your free hand (your other hand is still gripping the collar) put your head to the mat and finish with a clock choke. I know it's a pain in the butt trying to follow this by reading it but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible.

A variation to the above mentioned move is when flicking your hips your left knee blocks the back of their right arm and your right leg figure fours their arm. You shoot your free (left) hand as if you were going to control their left arm, roll over them to the crucifix. One hand is gripping the collar the other is under their other arm and presses on the back of the head. Whew.

The last thing we learned was defense for the butterfly. When in the butterfly squeeze your knees together and they will not be able to sweep you. I didn't believe this but when I tried it I was amazed. Once you've broken any under hooks they may have had you need to get them to lay down on the mat, when they have done that you press both knees together and ( in our case here we're passing to your right) take your left hand feed it under both knees grabbing the opposite knee push both knees to your right and lay heavy on them. From there the pass is evident.

I finally had the chance to roll with Daniel tonight and it was awesome. I like instructors that will let you get somewhere and not immediately shut you down. As long as I was using proper technique he would let me work, when I did something I knew I shouldn't have done he caught me on it. Great class.

No comments:

Post a Comment